The cookies are cakey and chewy.
The frosting is creamy and gooooooood.
Together, they are entirely edible.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cream Cream Frosting
Adapted from Better Homes and Garden
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp red food coloring
*I recommend baking these cookies on parchment paper. I’ve done it with and without and they bake up nicer on parchment.
1. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium for 30 seconds. Beat in sugars into the butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add in egg and vanilla.
4. Alternately, add the flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined.
5. Add in food coloring.
6. On parchment covered baking sheets, spoon out batter, either 1 or 2 inch diameter rounds, 1/2 inch high. Allow 1 inch between each round.
7. Bake at 375 degrees – 7 to 9 minutes for 1 inch cookies and 9 to 11 minutes for 2 inch cookies. Just watch for the tops to set.
Cool the cookies on the parchment sheets on the rack.
8. Fill with cream cheese frosting.
9. If you don’t eat them all immediately, store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting
6oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 stick butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
milk to consistency
1. Blend together cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla. Dump in powdered sugar.
2. Then add enough milk to make a creamy frosting.
3. Fill Whoopie Pies. Or with crackers, with a spoon or with your fingers. It’s all good.
Had to post another picture. They are so pretty
Have a good weekend.