Fruit Simple Syrups

July 24, 2013

Fruit Simple Syrups | this heart of mine

Last week when I shared the details of the ice cream party, I mentioned that I currently have a thing for fruity simple syrups. Simple syrup is a sweet, concentrated liquid made by boiling water and sugar together and it’s used in drinks and can be poured over cakes and other desserts. With the addition of fruit, the syrup takes on the flavor and color of the fruit.

Fruit Simple Syrups | this heart of mine

And aren’t the colors gorgeous?! After making rhubarb and blueberry syrup for Rhubarb Blueberry Lemonade and then making raspberry for the party, I felt inspired to try more!

Fruit Simple Syrups | this heart of mine

Aside from the lemons and limes, I used frozen fruit (including rhubarb I froze from my mom’s garden). First, it’s less expensive and secondly, it’s easier. There was no prep work for the berries, peaches or rhubarb and since I made seven syrups, less work was ideal.

Fruit Simple Syrups | this heart of mine

I used the same basic ratios for all the fruit simple syrups I made (save for the lime, more on that below) but know that there are a plethora of variations out there. I like the syrup to be sweet but I want to taste the fruit instead of hiding a little bit of fruit juice in a lot of sugar. Each fruit has a differing concentration of taste meaning that what might be an adequate amount with one syrup is not the same for another. This isn’t a big deal because ratios can be adjusted by taste when the drinks are being mixed. I found that peach has a very light taste, blueberries and raspberries are bold with strawberries and rhubarb in the middle.

Fruit Syrups 6

For our drinks, I mixed the syrups with club soda which made drinks akin to fruity soda. These syrups can also be mixed with lemonade, iced tea, hot tea and assorted liquors (check Pinterest!). Bug and Sweet J thought the drinks were amazing. They were enthralled with all the colors and had to try most of them, some of them many times over.

Fruit Syrups 7

I made double batches of all of the syrups and after they cooled, I bagged them and popped them in the freezer. The drinks are wonderful but I have more plans for my pretties.

Fruit Simple Syrups | this heart of mine

Fruit Simple Syrups

Ingredients

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups fruit, frozen or fresh, or squeezed fruit juice. Fruit should be peeled and washed and cut into smaller pieces when applicable.

Instructions

1. Bring the sugar, water and fruit to a boil.
  2. Turn down the heat and allow the mix to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the fruit very soft and coming apart.
  3. Remove from heat and pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
  4. Allow to fully cool.
  5. Store in the refrigerator.

Notes

Use syrups with club soda, lemonade, iced tea, hot tea or water. Pour over cake or ice cream.

Possible fruits: strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, oranges, limes, lemons, rhubarb, grapefruit

*The limes were tricky. Knowing their taste can come across as bitter instead of amazingly lime, I read other recipes before I started. What I saw was that the lime juice amount was drastically smaller than the ratios I have above. Like 1/2 cup or less per the 1:1 sugar to water.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Amy Christie

Amy is a wife, mother of two and a maker. Making is her thing whether it is food, DIYs or photos of her children. Follow Amy on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin, Twitter, and through her once-a-month newsletter to keep up with the latest from this heart of mine.

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

Laura July 24, 2013 at 3:33pm

I’ve been meaning to experiment with fruit syrups for ages, so glad I stopped by! They all look delicious and your photos are beautiful.

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:25am

Thank you!

Alana July 24, 2013 at 3:34pm

These look soo good! Love all the colours too. Thanks for sharing!

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:25am

Thank you!

Desiree July 24, 2013 at 5:02pm

Could you substitute honey for granulated sugar?

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:42am

I’m not sure, Desiree. I did google making simple syrups with honey and got a lot of results. You should try that! Looks like some yummy possibilities. :)

Joanna July 25, 2013 at 5:35am

I make cordials using a steamer which is similar to your syrups, that way I don’t really have to process the fruit much, the odd leaf and stalk in there does not hurt it and I use approximately 1lb of fruit to 6oz sugar. The other beauty of the process is that the juice is collected straight into sterile jars and sealed. Lastly I put the lot through a vegetable sieve and make jam with the remaining pulp.

Here are a couple of recipes (just scroll down)

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:40am

Cool Joanna! Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a profitable process. And yummy too. :)

Tracy July 25, 2013 at 6:45am

When I saw this on Pinterest and all the bold colors I thought for sure that you had used something like Koolaid. What a pleasant surprise to see that you used fruit! We make plain simple syrup all the time for lemonade, sweet tea and iced coffee. I can’t wait to try these! Thank you!

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:36am

I love that the colors turned out so lovely too! I love the real thing. Hope you enjoy them!

Stephanie July 25, 2013 at 5:50pm

These are absolutely beautiful! Can’t wait to try them ;)

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:35am

Enjoy!

Therese July 26, 2013 at 11:15pm

What about for people who are diabetic and need to reduce sugar intake? I’m not diabetic but I’m trying to cut way back on my sugar and 1 cup of sugar is far too much sugar. What about other alternatives like agave?

amy christie July 28, 2013 at 8:44am

Looks like there are agave simple syrup options. I googled it and the first result is a recipe on Food.com. Have fun!

Julie July 30, 2013 at 1:06am

These look delicious! And those bottles are super cute! Where did you get them? Thanks!

amy christie July 30, 2013 at 3:33pm

Thanks Julie! They are cleaned up Starbucks frappuccino bottles, the ones you can buy in the store. I removed the labels, clean them out and now I have milk-bottle-like bottles of my own!

Anna July 30, 2013 at 12:34pm

very nice idea! thank you.
a few comments from my mother:
it is better to boil fruit just in water first (without sugar), because fruit hardens in sugary water and it takes for it longer to “fall apart”. it is better to add sugar after getting the fruit through the mesh (besides no sugar gets thrown away this way and you can correct the level of sugar better)

amy christie July 30, 2013 at 3:37pm

Thanks Anna!

Melissa July 30, 2013 at 1:46pm

Hi! Question: what is the ratio that you recommend for syrup to club soda? I’m sure it’s preference, but where should I start? Thanks!

amy christie July 30, 2013 at 3:37pm

It really is by preference. Maybe start with filling your glass 1/4 with the syrup and then fill with club soda. Try that and then adjust from there. Again, some of them are more potent than others. You can always add more of whatever you need.

Cindy July 30, 2013 at 4:31pm

Sounds yummy! I drink a lot of water and sometimes need more flavor. I’ll have to try this.

Kristen October 7, 2013 at 12:50pm

Hi! This is a lovely recipe, can’t wait to try it! How long do you think it would keep in the refrigerator for? Thanks!

amy christie October 7, 2013 at 1:42pm

I’m not sure. We had this large batch in our fridge for at least a month and they were still fine but I can’t say for sure.

Rui October 13, 2013 at 5:08pm

Hi

I run a bakery coffee shop that’s got a bit of a New York urban feel . We are looking for supplier for syrups to make smoothies and coolers . At the moment we use frozen fruit and serve it in milk bottles. They look really good but we would like to offer more flavors . When are you opening a factory so we can buy from you ?

Thanks

Rui

mary May 3, 2014 at 7:55pm

If I’m making 1 gal of ice tea, how much simple syrup would I use

Jessica June 14, 2014 at 12:51pm

I’ve always been addicted to sonics peach tea so when I found this I was so excited! I just made my first batch today and it’s WAY better than sonics! I will never be able to go back! Thank you for sharing!!

Gail July 14, 2014 at 4:58pm

I love the idea of freezing these beauties into some ice cube trays and then popping them into some freezer baggies. This makes them easier to thaw in smaller servings. I will have to play around with how many cubes per glass or pitcher to suit my family’s taste though. Thanks for the colorful pictures too!!