Felt Christmas Tree Ornament

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

I love handmade ornaments and I’ve waited a whole year to share these little firs. It started with an email from my mom last fall after she returned from a local gardening shop she and her husband frequent. The link was to a darling multicolored felt stack Christmas tree pair, something for the mantel, cute as all get out. I don’t have the link anymore (a year is a long time!) so you’ll have to take my word for it – they were darling. Of course, I had to make them. With a few tweaks.

For my version, instead of mantel-size, I condensed their shape into ornament size and fiddled with the measurements until it looked just right. When completed, they stand 4.5″ tall and at their widest are 2.5″. While I am an equal-opportunity color lover, a white, cream and oatmeal color worked best for my decor, with a little gold topper to finish them off.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

The final product is soft and cozy and perfect for to hang anywhere. Here’s how to make them:

Supplies:

-felt, colors are up to you
-a strip of felt, 1/2 inch wide by 2 1/2 inches long
-printable size guide
-embroidery thread (or regular thread)
-needle
-glue gun
-gold paint (to paint tree top square ‘star’)

First, cut all the felt squares, the amount and size according to the printable guide.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

Then start stacking them up. Begin with the bottom (4 – 1 3/4″) and stack through to the top (6 – 1/2″). I arranged my colors so none of the same were next to each other but again, that part is up to you. Run a needle and thread through the center of each of the stacks until all are strung.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

Add a dot of glue to the brown piece of felt and wrap it around the thread and itself, adding another dot of glue to keep the strip in place.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

To finish up, add a dot of glue to one of the two star squares and sandwich them together, making sure to secure the end of the thread in between the pieces. This step not only holds the stack in place but is where the hanging loop is created. Then arrange the felt pieces, off setting the pieces from each other.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

Then hang them and smile at their adorableness.

Felt Tree Ornament | this heart of mine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Amy Christie

Amy is a wife, mother of two and a maker. Making is her thing whether it is food, DIYs or photos of her children. Follow Amy on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin, Twitter, and through her once-a-month newsletter to keep up with the latest from this heart of mine.

{ 25 comments… add one }

• Amore Di Zìa November 26, 2013, 11:28pm

Grazie per questo bellissimo tutorial!! Paola – Italy

• Colourcrush December 20, 2013, 6:10am

Thank you for your inspiration … perfect last second xmas present for my twins teachers … and really easy and ever so quick

• marie December 20, 2013, 9:19am

These are very sweet…and grandbaby proof too!

• Valerie Brown December 23, 2013, 1:00pm

I love this felt xmas tree ornament. I am going to be making and hope I am successful – they are adorable !

Merry Christmas!!

• Judy August 15, 2014, 7:32pm

I must be doing something wrong because when I open the size guide, all I get are thousands of numbers and letters. Can anyone give me the sizes to cut out, I would love to make some.
    Thanks i advance,
    Judy

• Char November 8, 2014, 10:34pm

From top to bottom:
      2 squares – 1/2 inch (for the star)
      6 squares – 1/2 inch
      6 squares – 3/4 inch
      6 squares – 1 inch
      6 squares – 1 1/4 inches
      6 squares – 1 1/2 inches
      6 squares – 1 3/4 inches
      6 squares – 2 inches
      4 squares – 1 3/4 inches

• Judy November 9, 2014, 10:03am

Thank you so much, can’t wait to start!

• kathy shuder November 29, 2014, 4:10pm

From top to bottom:
        2 squares – 1/2 inch (for the star)
        6 squares – 1/2 inch, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 3/4 inch, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 1 inch, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 1 1/4 inches, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 1 1/2 inches, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 1 3/4 inches, 2 of ea color
        6 squares – 2 inches, 2 of ea color
        4 squares – 1 3/4 inches

• Audrey October 4, 2014, 3:10pm

Love this…so simple and I can play with the colours. Thank you x

• Kristy November 7, 2014, 8:06am

So cute! I am definitely going to try these! On the directions, I see the picture with the needle and thread, but I don’t see anything written about that picture. Which direction do you thread? How thick do you make the thread? Do you knot one end?

• amy christie November 7, 2014, 12:13pm

Hey Kristy – I added a little more information to the directions. The direction you send the needle through the felt doesn’t matter, you just need to make sure you have extra thread at the top and bottom. As it says in the directions, you can use whatever thread you’d like. I used embossing thread because it’s a bit thicker. I didn’t use any knots when I did it and instead relied on the felt ‘trunk’ to hold the bottom and the gold ‘star’ to hold the top. Hope that helps!

• deb November 11, 2014, 7:38pm

I cut out the templates and will be cutting the felt while riding in the car for 6 hours! can’t wait. I just have one question, what is the approximate size of the felt for the trunk?

• amy christie November 12, 2014, 9:31am

It’s really up to you, deb. Mine are 1/2 inch wide. And good thinking for a great car project!!

• Sella Noah November 15, 2014, 1:43pm

I sure like this and going to try it. My only concern is that it’s not mentioned what the gold paint is for.

• amy christie November 15, 2014, 2:26pm

I used it on the square ‘star’ at the top of the tree. :)

• ginger November 16, 2014, 8:22pm

Amy I love these little trees! I made my first one with red light green and dark green. I sprayed the squares with white glitter, it looks amaze. I’m going to do the next one with white and blue felt. Thank you for the post this is one of the best little Christmas craft ideas I’ve seen.

• adrienne November 29, 2014, 11:58am

Great tutorial! I just have one question – did you really use just 4 squares for the bottom, or is that a typo? You seem to have 6 squares cut out in the picture where it’s all laid out.

• amy christie November 29, 2014, 3:40pm

I do believe I used only 4 on the bottom but using 6 will not ruin anything so do whatever works!!

• Jennifer Gasque December 4, 2014, 9:31pm

I love these. I’m going to turn them upside down and hang them as pinecones on my tree.

• Kerry December 5, 2014, 2:30pm

I just made three of these in shades of white, like yours–they are great! I used a bead at the top for the “star” and I like how it came out. Now I plan to make some more in shades of green. Thanks for a wonderful project!

• Tenny Calhoun December 7, 2014, 5:18pm

Love these! I just made one in shades of green, sewing a gold button on top as a star. I took 1/4″ sheer ribbon and strung little beads on them, winding around the tree as tinsel. The little beads spells the last name of the recipient. Very cute!

• Frances December 13, 2014, 3:58pm

Just found these on Pinterest and they are adorable!

• Connie December 17, 2014, 8:48am

Great way to use left over quilt batting!

• Christy Peterson December 17, 2014, 5:20pm